Vegan Foods That Make You Lean and Muscular
Lost weight but not looking good in your body?
Many of us crave to achieve a lean and muscular body, specially when we are a few pounds over scale.
But what we don’t often remember is that losing weight always goes hand in hand with gaining muscle.
A body with no fat and no muscle will not look very ideal. There is a misconception that muscles are only limited to men.
Keep in mind that a little muscle never hurts, even for women.
Instead, it will make you look a thousand times better!
Hence, losing fat while building muscle is ultimately transforming the body. You gonna feel energized plus with a good shape.
But what happens when you’re a vegan? Is it still possible? Let’s find out!
Losing Weight and Gaining Muscle Simultaneously?
“Is it possible to lose fat and build lean muscle at the same time? How do I lose fat and not muscle?”
This question might be the first one that pops up in your mind when reading about both processes together.
It may sound vague at first, but today we will be answering all your queries in detail.
Now, what does this ideal scenario looks like?
When you lose weight, you want to lose fat while preserving as much muscle as possible.
While trying to get rid of extra pounds, it’s more about what you eat then what you don’t.
So, stop blaming yourself after a cheat meal; instead keep your portion size in control to help you live your best life.
Yes, later on, you must burn more calories than you take in to get lean.
It seems like a simple equation, but many people fail at losing weight because they also lose lean body mass.
What Do You Need To Do for Lean and Muscular body?
To do this, you must be in a state of slight Calorie Deficit ‒ a state when “you consume fewer calories than you burn”,as explains Gavin Van De Walle, MS, RD in his article to Healthline.com.
This will help you to lose weight, but at the same time, you must consume adequate protein to make sure you get a lean and muscular body.
If you feel like you are losing muscle but not fat, you may need to make some changes to your diet.
According to a study from the University of South Carolina, it is easier to lose weight by eliminating all animal products (meat, eggs, fish, and dairy products) from your diet.
Some studies indicate that a vegan diet is best for weight loss. In research, it was found that vegans lost nearly 1 pound more than other test subjects.
What Is A Vegan Diet?
A Vegan Diet involves eliminating animal products such as red meat, poultry, fish, and animal-based dairy products.
In fact, eating more plant-based foods is recommended for most people, for general health reasons.
They are low-calorie and high-protein foods to help you lose weight and gain muscle quickly.
Plant-based foods are rich in nutrients: minerals, vitamins, fats, fiber, antioxidants, and proteins.
When you eat raw foods – you get them in the most nutritious forms.
A vegan diet provides numerous health benefits as:
- Provides all nutrients required by the body
- Helps the body function properly
- Improves the immune system
- Provides an ample amount of antioxidants
- Helps fight inflammation
Foods to Lose Weight and Gain Muscles
Lentils contain sufficient amounts of slowly digested carbs and are good sources of fiber.
The fiber in lentils keeps you full for longer and also improves bowel functioning.
Did you know that lentils are high in protein and can be used as a substitute for animal protein?
Every 100 grams of lentils deliver about 9 grams of protein, making it an appropriate protein source to build and strengthen the muscles.
Moreover, they also consist of folate, manganese, and iron and are low in fat with absolutely no cholesterol.
A vegan diet also has nuts that contains some proteins and healthy fats. Nuts are nutrient-dense and can be great for your uninvited cravings.
But they can be severely addictive, so keep yourself on track while munching on nuts.
- Pine nuts are most beneficial for weight loss and muscle building. They have several unique elements, many biologically active substances, and are easily digestible plant proteins.
- Walnuts suppress appetite and do not provide extra calories.
- Nutmeg helps burn calories faster, it also improves digestion and aids in bowel movement.
If we talk about nuts, we should not forget that it is a relatively fatty product. Its overuse can cause an increase in fat stores.
They are packed with energy and are rich in amino acid Leucine as compared to other plants.
Eating nuts provides strength and loads of energy with additional nutrients for building muscle.
Bananas are rich in potassium and are very filling.
Using more than two bananas or drinking a banana milkshake may increase weight, but eating 1 or 2 does not do any bad in terms of weight gain.
- They speed up your metabolism and helps in digesting other foods faster.
- Muscles damaged due to strenuous workout can also be repaired and regenerated with bananas as they contain potassium, which is extremely beneficial for muscles.
- Eating bananas and performing various exercises for recovery can reduce muscle soreness and cramps.
- In addition, bananas contain compounds that help you get slimmer and maintain perfect body shape.
To lose weight and healthily build muscle, you need to increase your intake of green vegetables like celery, arugula, watercress, spinach, lettuce and avocado.
Also, green leafy vegetables include spinach, artichokes, green beet leaves, etc.
- They are low in calories and carbohydrates but are full of fiber.
- Eating green veggies is a great way to increase your volume of meals without increasing calories.
- Green vegetables are also incredibly nutritious and very high in all kinds of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. This includes calcium, which has been shown to aid in fat burning; thus, another excellent way to get in shape.
The connection between water and weight loss is, when you feel hungry, instead of throwing yourself on food, you should drink water.
- Water helps reduce hunger because it fills your stomach, and therefore partially reduces your desire to eat.
- Drinking plenty of water will speed up your metabolism helping you in weight reduction.
- Water is equally important to gain muscle mass! Muscle is 75% water.
You should drink more liquid in the morning, about 800 ml, and then 2 glasses half an hour before meals and an hour and a half after in order to achieve muscle mass.
A small chunk of dark chocolate slows down your digestion so you feel full for longer and eat less at your next meal.
Studies shows eating a bar of chocolate with high cocoa content speeds up your metabolism and burns excess fat and calories.
Simultaneously, dark chocolate is an excellent source of potassium: it provides up to 400mg of potassium per 100 grams.
If it contains magnesium, its contribution is not significant: with 178mg of magnesium per 100g, two squares of dark chocolate only cover 4% of our daily needs.
Its nutritional composition and low sugar content offer many benefits for lean and muscular body.
In short, weight loss and muscle growth are two complex biological processes that require effort to achieve.
Hence, plan your meals in such a way that not only do you lose weight but also gain those beefy muscles.
- Van De Walle, G. (2019) What is a calorie deficit, and how much of one is healthy?https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calorie-deficit
- Hollemann, J. (2014) USC study finds vegan diet most effective at weight loss. http://www.asph.sc.edu/news/vegandiet.html
- Huang, R., Huang, C., Hu, F. B. and Chavarro, J. E. (2016) Vegetarian diets and weight reduction: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol.31(1) pp. 109–116.
- McCrory, M. A., Hamaker, B. R., Lovejoy, J. C. and Eichelsdoerfer, P. E. (2010) Pulse consumption, satiety, and weight management. Advances in Nutrition, vol.1(1) pp. 13–30.
- Bohannon, J., Koch, D., Homm, P. and Driehaus, A. (2015) Chocolate with high cocoa content as a weight-loss accelerator. Global Journal of Medical Research: K, vol.15(2) pp. 8–14.